— The Manifesto —
9 OUT OF 10 CHILDREN WITH A DISABILITY ARE NOT WELCOME AT SCHOOL.
Countries have mutually agreed* that it should be possible for all children to go to school, no matter what. This includes children with a disability. But this vulnerable group is frequently left behind at home, and if we don’t act, will also be left behind in life. We are sounding the alarm bell and saying:
ALL CHILDREN ARE WELCOME TO SCHOOL, INCLUDING CHILDREN WITH A DISABILITY.
Hence, 10 urgent action points:
- All children want to be able to reach school.
Provide children with disability (adapted-) transport to school.
- All children want to be able to enter and pass through the school.
- All children want to be able to visit the restroom.
Provide an adapted restroom at every school for children with a disability.
- All children want to receive ‘honest’ education.
Adapt lessons and rules for children with a disability.
- All children want to play.
Allow children with a disability to participate in sports and games at school.
- All children want friends.
Teach children how they can be there for children with a disability.
- All children want parents to help.
Stand up as parents for children with a disability.
- All children want good guidance.
Train teachers on how they can better counsel children with a disability.
- All children want positive attention.
Children with a disability have the right to go to school.
- All children want to just be kids.
Let children with a disability advance and enjoy.
It is high time that ‘accessible education’ becomes a reality in all nations. All children with a disability must feel really welcome at school, wherever they are in the world.
So please sign and share this manifesto. On behalf of all children with a disability, Thank you!
The Liliane Foundation
* As stated in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
And pictures from We Ring the Bell at Osu Presby cluster of schools